Navigating School Violence As A Future High School Teacher

This image is simple, yet it is correct. There is no place at all for school violence and it needs to be avoided completely.

While on my journey to become a high school teacher, the issue of school violence is on my mind from time to time. It is a terrible issue which needs to be addressed. While watching the documentary “Bowling for Columbine”, I was reminded of the devastating impact that acts of violence can have within the school setting. The film delves into the culture of guns and violence in the United States, particularly in the aftermath of the tragic Columbine High School massacre in 1999. It sparked thoughts and reflection on my end for how I, as a future educator, can navigate and address this critical issue within my classroom (Moore, 2002).

As I mentioned before, I see myself working with students in high school. They are in a pivotal stage in their lives where they are dealing with many challenges and transitions on a daily basis. As I prepare to enter this environment, I am making sure I am aware of the potential implications of school violence on both my students and myself. The article statistics state that 57% of students are worried about a shooting happening at their school (Graf, 2018). This is not the only concern. There are also instances of bullying and fights which are issues as well. 20 % of students reported bullying being seen on school property in the past year (CDC, 2021). These instances and the nervousness they cause serve as a reminder of the harsh realities that students and educators may face daily.

As I contemplate the impact of school violence on my future role as a teacher, many emotions come to me. Firstly, there is a large sense of responsibility to ensure the safety and well-being of my students. The safety of my students will always be my number one priority, and I am committed to creating a safe and supportive learning environment where they feel secure and valued. Along with this, comes a sense of uncertainty and vulnerability as I think about possibly having to deal with encountering violence within my classroom. The thought of navigating such challenging situations is scary, but I am determined to have the necessary skills and strategies to deal with them. 

In my own research, I was able to find some helpful tips from the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP). Creating a safe and supportive school climate, encouraging student responsibility, and implementing security measures are crucial steps in preventing school violence (NASP, 2024). With my future in education, I realize how important it is to have open communication with my students and establish trust based relationships in the hope that they report potential problems. It is just as important for me to stay informed about crisis plans and emergency response procedures, as well as engage in regular preparedness drills to make sure my class is ready for any dangerous events. It is important to be prepared for the worst, even if we hope it doesn’t happen. 

To wrap up, the issue of school violence is a sad reality that I must confront as I prepare to enter the field of education. While the thought of navigating through these challenges may be daunting, I am determined to approach them with empathy, resilience, and commitment to the safety of my students. Through the proactive measures I have studied and a collaborative approach with other educators, parents, and the community, I am very confident we can create a safe and supportive learning environment for everyone.

Citations: 

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2021, September 2). Fast fact: Preventing school violence |violence prevention|injury Center|CDC. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/youthviolence/schoolviolence/fastfact.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fviolenceprevention%2Fyouthviolence%2Fschoolviolence%2Findex.html#print 

Graf, N. (2018, April 18). A majority of U.S. teens fear a shooting could happen at their school, and most parents share their concern. Pew Research Center. https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2018/04/18/a-majority-of-u-s-teens-fear-a-shooting-could-happen-at-their-school-and-most-parents-share-their-concern/ 

Michael Moore & Jeff Gibbs. (2002) BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE. Canada/Germany/USA.

School violence prevention. National Association of School Psychologists (NASP). (n.d.). https://www.nasponline.org/resources-and-publications/resources-and-podcasts/school-safety-and-crisis/school-violence-resources/school-violence-prevention